Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dreams

This weekend something my friend said jumped out at me: "It was one of those dreams that will never come true."

Do you think you have a dream that will never come true? It's kind of a depressing thought. I guess the appealing mystique of a dream is you *hope* it will come true... you dream it... but there's always that tiny part of you that knows it may not happen. That's the intrigue.

Dreams are hard to voice because once you do, you have a responsibility - to yourself and the world - to make good on your dream. Dreams are kind of like goals in your career. You wanna have good ones to impress your boss at your evaluation... but then you have to accomplish them so that at next year's evaluation you are still impressive! And once you reach those goals you have to dream bigger to impress.

The weird thing about my dreams is that my routines and habits don't lead to where I want to be. Instead of writing my own blog (except occasionally) I read someone else's. Instead of creating my own songs I listen to popular songs over and over. Instead of better emulating Christ I listen to a lot of sermons and speakers.

But life is long and there's nothing stopping me from starting on the trajectory.

There it is. The subtle, sinister, savoury nature of the dream. It persists...

No comments: